Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Editorial Sketches

There was a special moment at last week's Constitution Day lecture that really struck me, and that was during Susan Burton's speech. She spoke about how she had lost her 5-year-old child when he was accidentally run over by a police car, and I felt like I could really relate to this situation after losing my mother to cancer 10 years ago. I know how long it takes to recover from an incident as devastating as losing someone so close to you. For my piece, I really wanted to capture this powerful point in the presentation.

Thumbnails:

























Rough sketches:

























Final sketch:


1 comment:

  1. While I'm not opposed to the highlighted background for Susan Burton, I feel it would help enhance the moment you've described if the faces of the other male panelists reflected what she's saying; they look kind of pissed right now. Also if the Susan figure were facing front as opposed to turned three quarters so that it's apparent she's addressing a crowd and less aware of the other panelists that would help. If this is a sketch you did at the panel, I realize (and appreciate) that it may be true to what exactly everything appeared to be at that moment. However, in order to sufficiently illustrate the moment you're describing, you'll need to do a bit of editing.

    ReplyDelete