Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Diana's Editorial Sketch

As I scrolled down this blog, looking at the sketches from Constitution Day, I quickly realized something: Dana was right. I am fine artsy. In focusing on capturing depth through illustrating the foreground figures with more contrast and more details, I forgot to create a visual response to the panel discussion. This is merely a depiction of what I saw. Should I be satisfied?

What I really want to say, as a response to the discussion, is how appreciative I am for having the opportunity to listen to the panelists. While I was much disturbed by the seemingly stark detrimental effect and ineffectiveness of the prison system, I enjoyed how informed and passionate the panelists were about bringing about change. In particular, David Simon and Aaron Henkin impressed me on an intellectual level; I loved how they're approaching the issue of mass incarceration in a calculated way, thinking about how to beat the system and inform others. This doesn't mean that I wasn't impressed by Susan Burton; she's an amazing, strong women who translated her struggles as a previous drug addict into strength to support women who need treatment. Overall, I'm glad to have attended Constitution Day at MICA and felt motivated to vote against sending someone in prison for the possession and/or abuse of drugs.

Edit: I want to convey how capitalism adds to the corruption of the prison system


1 comment:

  1. Observation sketches ARE a form of visual journalism! However, we'll focus on the allegorical illustration since that sounds like what you're more interested in discussing. Aesthetically, this drawing is a good fit for the space requirements (it will read well at a small size) and has a nice, fluid feel. The only real issue is that the buildings just look like buildings -- there's no way to tell that they are either prisons or business centers. Perhaps buildings are not the right choice for this piece. They could very well be if you're able to find a way to differentiate them from ordinary buildings, but experiment with other symbols, too.

    ReplyDelete